Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Godfather

Part I: I thought that the Godfather was a great movie. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it based on the overall concept of the movie, but I really did enjoy it. I thought it was interesting to see how this family and similar families would do their business, and how the whole family was involved. It was interesting to me how friendly and Godly Vito Corleone is portrayed in the movie, when in reality the way they go about their business is not friendly by any means. Everyone looks to this man and knows that he can solve their problem. From the beginning of the movie, I had a feeling that Michael would get involved in the business at some point even though he said he wouldn't. He was the only pure one who had acted as a "true" American, by enlisting in the war and taking on a job, also dating an American woman. We see the feud between the 5 families throughout the movie, and once it starts turning bad, we see more involvement from Michael. When Vito is shot, Michael becomes involved. This kind of made me feel sad, because from there we knew that Michael's almost downfall would begin. He ends up killing 2 men and having to flee into hiding. He ultimately is alone and has to just leave everything. When he begins to be happy with a new wife, she is killed by the men who want revenge. I think this movie truly shows how dangerous mob activity truly is, which I never would've in the full believed. In all I thought this was a great movie, despite some of the gruesome scenes.
Part II: In the movie, Vito is portrayed as the moral center. He is the moral center because he is the one who basically keeps the peace and keeps everyone in check and safe. He is the one that can solve anyones problems and always knows what to do. When I died I honestly felt sorrow, because the way he was portrayed was as such a great figure to everyone he influenced. Although he did commit awful acts, he ultimately did it to protect his family. When he died he was retired and trying to make some good, and thats also why I felt sorrow when he died.
Part III: I do believe that the fact that this movie is told from the inside is what makes it such a great movie. We get to see the view of the Corleone family, and not just an outside perspective of who they were. This also enables us to feel the emotional aspect involved of everything they were doing. I truly believe this is a classic, because the nature of what the movie is about, and how great of a movie it is. 

No comments: